WEIRDLAND: Jake Gyllenhaal fascinated by the concept of time in "Source Code"

Thursday, May 05, 2011

Jake Gyllenhaal fascinated by the concept of time in "Source Code"

Jake Gyllenhaal in SFX magazine, May 2011

"I think if I was in that situation, I would call my family and it wouldn't be to apologise but it would be, hopefully, to have a good laugh. To hear them laugh because I love that with my family," he says. "And if that eight minutes came right now, I'd be, 'Sorry I got to go. I'm gonna have to cut our interview short".

Jake Gyllenhaal in Total Film magazine

"I'm fascinated by the concept of time. I really love mining that stuff," says the actor. "For me this movie, philosophically, is a representation of the idea that we have little births and little deaths every day. If we pay attention to them we can grow."

With his striking big blue eyes and chiselled leading-man features, he could have been just another pretty boy. But, determined to escape typecasting, he took on a string of diverse roles with The Good Girl, Moonlight Mile, Jarhead, Zodiac and Proof and also tried his hand at big bucks blockbusters Prince of Persia and The Day After Tomorrow.

"What I believe about love is that, whether it's with your family, whether it's with somebody you fall in love with and have a relationship with, your partner or whatever, it's all about being seen. It's all about someone saying 'I see you, I see who you are, I love who you are, I appreciate who you are'," says the actor whose status is currently single.
At just 30 years old, Gyllenhaal has already made more than 20 films while Duncan Jones, the director of Source Code, was in the director's seat for only his second time after his dazzling debut Moon wooed the collective heart of Hollywood.
Jake Gyllenhaal and Duncan Jones attending "Source Code" Screening in Berlin (2011)

"As giddy and innocent as Duncan is in his press, which I think is genuine and very wonderful and positive," ventures Gyllenhaal, "when he's on set he reminds me of someone like Ang Lee. He's quiet, he hardly says a word.
He's strangely confident in this way where he allows people to be themselves and then ultimately you realise you're in his vortex. "He really empowers his actors. I responded to his confidence as a visionary with Moon; I could feel it in that movie. And because I also have a certain amount of experience there was a real camaraderie between the two of us". Source: au.news.yahoo.com

No comments :