WEIRDLAND: Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Zooey Deschanel interview

Friday, November 27, 2009

Joseph Gordon-Levitt & Zooey Deschanel interview



MTV: This isn't the first blush with success for either of you, but does 2009 feel like a particularly special year?Gordon-Levitt: I think so. 2009 started at Sundance for me. "(500) Days of Summer" premiered there, and that was the first time everybody saw it. And a short film I made called "Sparks" played at Sundance, and then Barack Obama became president, which was one of the more cathartic, emotionally reinforcing, positive experiences I've really ever had. It feels like a special year.Deschanel: It's a very special year. It's the end of the aughts, which is sad.

Gordon-Levitt: The end of the aughts! Thank you, I've been looking for the name of this decade, and I haven't known what it was.MTV: So, for you especially, Zooey, the aughts were essentially the decade when you came of age as an actress, when you essentially got started. Is it bittersweet to see your first decade as an actress come to an end?
Deschanel: It's exciting. I have to say, Sundance 2001, Joe and I had to be there with "Manic". I've been so lucky to work with Joe twice. Book-ending the aughts. And hopefully, it will be more frequent.

Gordon-Levitt: Into the teens. And the '20s.

Deschanel: And the '20s and the '30s and '40s and the '50s. And we'll live to a million by that point, because they'll have all kinds of drugs to keep us alive.

Gordon-Levitt: Of course, because we'll be cyborgs.
MTV: What did you two make of each other — be honest — because you're getting along now, but when you first met each other, was there something there? Did you not know what to make of this guy or vice versa?

Deschanel: I just thought he was so cool. He was so cool and such a great actor. So intense. Very different — a different sort of role in our first movie together than you and I were playing in ["500 Days"].
Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Zooey Deschanel as Tom Hansen & Summer Finn in "500 days of Summer" (2009).

MTV: You've done it twice now — could there be a third movie for you guys? If you could write the script here and now, what kind of genre, what kind of film would you like collaborate on?

Deschanel: Screwball comedy.

Gordon-Levitt: Yeah, something fast!Deschanel: Something snappy. Something funny. Something with some musical elements.

Gordon-Levitt: I think there might be some music. There might be some dance in there. Some songs.
MTV: Zooey, you got married this year to Death Cab for Cutie frontman Ben Gibbard. Was the wedding everything you hoped it would be? Does it feel different now?

Deschanel: It was amazing. Now it just feels better. Similar but better.
MTV: What can we look forward to from you in 2010? I know you did "Your Highness" with Danny McBride, Natalie Portman and James Franco.

Deschanel: I think it's coming out in September or October. It's totally bonkers. And then I have a new [She & Him] record coming out in the spring. It's official. It's done and being released in the spring. And we're going to go on tour.
Gordon-Levitt: I am She & Him's number one fan. I am possessive about that slot, actually.MTV: Joe, you have "Inception" coming up. Having completed the shoot, did it live up to everything you hoped it would? What can I expect?
Heath Ledger as The Joker and Maggie Gyllenhaal as Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight (2008).

Gordon-Levitt: Are you a fan of Christopher Nolan, who wrote and directed "The Dark Knight" among other things? This is what happened. Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite artists, and he's a true dignified filmmaker with all the integrity of an indie filmmaker. He started with indie films like "Memento." And then he directed one of the biggest hits of all time. Now he can say, "I'm going to do whatever I want to do and you, Warner Brothers, are going to let me do it." ["Inception"] is an awesome artist who just got to do exactly what he wanted to do, and it's a beautiful thing to see".
Source: www.mtv.com


Joseph Gordon-Levitt in the dance sequence scene from the movie 500 Days of Summer.



Zooey Deschanel and Joseph Gordon-Levitt dance to She & Him's "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" in a music video about a bank heist in which the teller's heart is stolen along with the cash.

2 comments :

countsheep said...

what a lovely couple, Joseph and Zooey!

happy thanksgiving to Americans :)

Elena said...

Happy Thanksgiving Holidays!!

Joseph and Zooey are so cute together, I even read they kind of dated briefly while they were shooting "Manic".