WEIRDLAND: One nighters, playlists, Rachel Cohn

Sunday, August 24, 2008

One nighters, playlists, Rachel Cohn

"I’ve just decided that the song “After Hours” by We Are Scientists is officially the theme song for Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist. It is also the song from which I stole the title. If you’ve read the book, listen to it, it will fit perfectly. If you haven’t read the book, listen to it anyway. The music video has a guy going on a date with a dog. It’s funny.

I’ve already taken my picture today.It’s the dedication of the book I just read today, Boy Proof. It wasn’t very good, but I liked the dedication. It was “to all nerdy girls everywhere”.

For my own enjoyment, here’s how my night was laid out.

* Up until three AM watching YouTube videos and reading Maureen Johnson’s blog.
* Writing in notebook from three until five-ish.
* Listened to The Hush Sound’s album Like Vines in one sitting. It’s really marvelous.
* Got on the computer after the rush from listening to an entire album in one sitting.
* Read some recipes with eggs in them. Did you know that there’s an American Egg Board?
* Learned about NASA, because it’s their fiftieth anniversary. I can’t wait to eat Mars asparagus.
* Read some articles about all-nighters, and how unhealthy they are. I’m resetting my body clock for band camp. It was getting out of hand.
* Read a book.
* Typed up this post.

What a lovely night! I can’t wait to proceed through this day feeling sufficiently zombie-like".
Source: storiesfromahat.wordpress.com

"NICK & NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST has such a pounding and infectious beat that it's as if a mp3-saturated microchip were implanted in the book. From the instant you crack open the cover, screams of loud, moaning guitar come slicing through your synapses, to be followed immediately by a vocalist's machine-gun rapid rant caressing your face. And then, when you succeed in getting your eyes back into focus for a moment, you realize you're hovering slightly above a tightly packed, pulsing crowd and that something's compelling you to focus on the goings-on taking place in one little corner of the evening's virtual insanity.There they are: Two young, complete strangers who in the same moment of desperation and fortuitous fate are attempting to avoid the very same person and are about to send their parallel universes irretrievably crashing into each other.Nick: "Three weeks, two days and twenty-three hours ago and she's already with someone else".Norah: "I answer NoMo's question by putting my hand around his neck and pulling his face down to mine. God, I would do anything to avoid Tris recognizing me and trying to talk to me.""I've just seen a face I can't forget the time or place where we just met She's just the girl for me and I want all the world to see we've met Mm mm mm mm mm mm Had it been another day I might have looked the other way And I'd have never been aware, but as it is I'll dream of her tonight La la la la la la."
-Lennon and McCartney, "I've Just Seen A Face"."I extract my wrist from his grip. But for some reason, instead of walking away, I pause for a moment and return my hand to his face, caressing his cheek, drawing light circles on his jaw with my index finger. "I tell him, 'You poor schmuck.' "

The fact is that I'd been aware for quite a while that these two YA authors whom I've long adored individually had been collaborating on a project together, but only in my dreams could I have imagined that the fruits of that shared labor would morph into the unforgettable evening-long, sensual, thrillingly adventurous, utterly charming and sweet, head-bangingly lyrical story that has our students passing a precious advance copy from one to another to another and begging us to organize a trip down to the City when the David and Rachel tour passes through SF in June.
Tune into NICK & NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST, or be way sorry you missed it". Source: www.amazon.com/review
Kat Dennings with "Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist" author Rachel Cohn.
Q: What inspired you to write this book?

When people ask me what You Know Where to Find Me is about, I often say that it's a "warm, uplifting book about grief, suicide, depression and DC statehood."

"What was the last part again?" they often reply. [...]

"Cohn once again excels at crafting a multidimensional, in-the-moment teenage world, this time without recourse to her usual witty style. There is a bleakness to her language that superbly suits this sad, somber tale. Her work is heartbreaking, at times excruciating to read, but it rings with authenticity. The tragedy of teen suicide has been the subject of countless novels, yet rarely has it been discussed with such gritty realism."
-Publishers Weekly.

"Miles's own voice is defiantly admirable, full of dark, black venom and determined convictions. She isn't all doom and gloom, though, and her vulnerabilities subtly seep through with Cohn's signature beat: disco, cigarettes, M&Ms and books. The author nails the setting too: Racial lines, socio-economics, politics, war and the sticky, sweltering heat of a summer in D.C. all fuel her descent. What results isn't just a story about overcoming sorrow, but rather one of a girl raging against the world and herself, waiting for someone to help her make sense of it all."
-Kirkus Reviews.
Source: rachelcohn.com
Visit Rachel Cohn's Official website

No comments :